It's right for you if...
You're new to the trail, and you're looking for a great value on a real mountain bike that can double as a commuter.
The tech you get
A lightweight aluminum frame with internal shift cable and brake hose routing to protect your cables and add to the bike's sleek look, 21 speeds, a wide range of gearing for big hills, hydraulic disc brakes, a suspension fork that takes the edge off bumps and rough terrain, and a saddle designed for women.
The final word
It's built in Trek's MTB heritage, making it more than capable of taking on trail adventures. But it's also versatile, and Marlin 5 is a popular ride on college campuses because the rack and kickstand mounts make it easy to accessorize and haul a load.
Why you'll love it
- It's a real mountain bike that's also perfectly suited to daily commutes, rides around campus, or just getting from A to B on any surface
- Marlin models in XS and S frame sizes have a curved top tube and a lower standover height that makes it easier for smaller riders to mount and dismount
- Smaller frame sizes (XS and S) have short-reach brake levers that make it easier and more comfortable for riders with smaller hands to brake confidently
- Rack and kickstand mounts make it easy to accessorize, so your mountain bike can double as a rugged commuter
- Like every model in the Marlin family, it's backed by Trek's lifetime warranty
|Shifter||Size: XS , S , M , ML
Shimano Altus M315, 3 speed
|Size: XS , S , M , ML
Shimano Altus M315, 7 speed
|Front derailleur||Shimano Tourney TY300, 34.9mm clamp, down swing, down pull|
|Rear derailleur||Shimano Tourney TY300, long cage, 34T max cog|
|*Crank||Size: XS , S , M
Shimano Tourney TY301, 42/34/24, 170mm length
Shimano Tourney TY301, 42/34/24, 175mm length
|Bottom bracket||VP BC73, 73mm, threaded cartridge|
|Cassette||Shimano HG200, 12-32, 7 speed|
|Chain||KMC Z7, 7 speed|
|Pedal||VP-536 nylon platform|
|Max chainring size||1x: 32T, 3x: 42T|
SR Suntour XCE 28, coil spring, preload, 42mm offset for 27.5'' wheel, 100mm QR, 80mm travel
SR Suntour XCE 28, coil spring, preload, 42mm offset for 27.5'' wheel, 100mm QR, 100mm travel
|Size: M , ML
SR Suntour XCE 28, coil spring, preload, 46mm offset for 29'' wheel, 100mm QR, 100mm travel
|Max compatible fork travel||100mm|
|Front hub||Formula DC-20, alloy, 6-bolt, 5x100mm QR|
|Rear hub||Formula DC-27, alloy, 6-bolt, 7sp freehub, 135x5mm QR|
|Rim||Bontrager Connection, double-wall, 32-hole, 20mm width, schrader valve|
|Spokes||14g, stainless steel, black|
|*Tire||Size: XS , S
Bontrager XR2 Comp, wire bead, 30 tpi, 27.5x2.20''
|Size: M , ML
Bontrager XR2 Comp, wire bead, 30 tpi, 29x2.20''
|Size: M , ML
Bontrager XR2 Comp, wire bead, 30 tpi, 29x2.00''
|Max tire size||
29x2.20" (XS & S: 27.5x2.4")